carissagreen50

Carissa Green Reads

I read widely from many genres. Perhaps this blog will feature fewer ratings and reviews, but I certainly intend to write about my reading life - it's the subject I most find myself wanting to talk about.

The Selected Poems of Donald Hall
Barbara W. Tuchman
SPOILER ALERT!

Notes on Adaptation: Paper Towns

Paper Towns - John Green

For my previous remarks on the "Paper Towns" trailer, see this post: http://carissagreen50.booklikes.com/post/1203274/notes-on-adaptation-paper-towns-casting-edition

Well, I was right about Cara Delevigne. She was definitely not my Margo Roth Spiegelman. Not spirited enough. Not angry enough. Too much depressive, not enough manic. But she was a consistent character for this film, and that's OK. Within this story world, she fit.

This film started out with some minor differences from the book that seemed totally unnecessary. I don't mind changes in service of the narrative, but changes that seem completely arbitrary always bug me.

Then it got worse. On a scale of 1-5, with one being "no discernible changes at all" and 5 being "totally unrecognizable from the book," the third act of this movie was a solid 3 1/2 or 4. I was almost on board with the changes in the premise of the road trip, until they seemed to be arbitrary, and in their execution they lost their urgency.

In fact, the whole movie failed the urgency test. The book reinforced at every turn the emotional edge Q. was under as he searched for Margo and the time-sensitive nature of the road trip. The film seemed lackadaisical - even in the Act I "mission" scenes. I think that's a fault of the performances and the direction. Music cues do not cause urgency when it's not there in the script, performances, and editing.

Except for the actor playing Q, everyone else seemed like they were playing in a random episode of a mediocre TV show. Fine, but not great, and definitely not urgent.

Disappointing. But not heartbreaking.

-cg