carissagreen50

Carissa Green Reads

I read widely from many genres. Perhaps this blog will feature fewer ratings and reviews, but I certainly intend to write about my reading life - it's the subject I most find myself wanting to talk about.

Three Sisters, Three Queens (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels)
Philippa Gregory
Robert W. Bretall
The Guns of August
Barbara W. Tuchman

What's in a Name: Oswald Cobblepot and Chester Copperpot

The Goonies - James Kahn Batman: Year One - Richmond Lewis, Frank Miller, Dennis O'Neil, David Mazzucchelli

This post may be only tangentially related to my reading life, but I hope you'll indulge my tangent, dear readers. I'll give you a reading connection or two: When I was a young'un, I loved the novelization of "The Goonies." And, as an adult, I read and enjoyed Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" graphic novel. So, off we go:

Oswald Cobblepot and Chester Copperpot. Two of popular culture's more memorably-named characters have conflated themselves in my mind for years. Oswald Cobblepot, of course, is the given name of Gotham City's legendary villain, The Penguin. (Cobblepot despised his avian sobriquet, and woe betide anyone who said it to his face.) Chester Copperpot was the long-lost, enigmatic treasure hunter that inspired Mikey to round up The Goonies and go on a quest for One-Eyed Willie's treasure.

Why do I confuse them? Basically, I think it's a matter of the poetic foot. They have exactly the same rhythm, as well as the same vowel pattern in the second foot. Counting and naming poetic feet is a kind of art, but I think, basically, you could call the pattern here trochee-dactyl. (There are other ways to name the line, but that's not the point: The point is, their rhythms are the same.)

So I confuse them. Let's play alternate universe. Wouldn't it be cool if on some pop culture family tree the two were related? Long-lost cousins. Or even brothers. It amuses me to think that the Cobblepot/Copperpot clan out there was clever enough to pair their unusual last names with such poetic, old-time names as Oswald and Chester.

Come to think of it, these also would be good names for cats . . ;)

-cg