carissagreen50

Carissa Green Reads

I read widely from many genres. Perhaps this blog will feature fewer ratings and reviews, but I certainly intend to write about my reading life - it's the subject I most find myself wanting to talk about.

The Selected Poems of Donald Hall
Robert W. Bretall
The Guns of August
Barbara W. Tuchman

New Ted Kooser Book - Part one

Splitting an Order - Ted Kooser Delights & Shadows - Ted Kooser The Wheeling Year: A Poet's Field Book - Ted Kooser

I was super-excited to read on Copper Canyon Press' Facebook feed recently that Ted Kooser has a new book of poetry coming out this fall. It's called "Splitting an Order." Kooser is my favorite poet. His 2004 collection Delights and Shadows, which won a Pulitzer Prize, is one of my favorite volumes. So a new book from him is big, joyful news in my corner of the book universe

Last week, I had occasion to be in Denver and visit one of the country's great independent bookstores, the Tattered Cover on Colfax Ave. I inquired, because "Splitting an Order" wasn't on the shelves yet. Turns out, the release date isn't until mid-October. :(

But, a day or two later, I was at the smaller, sweet and well-curated indie Macdonald Bookshop in Estes Park, CO, and I found a Kooser volume I'd never seen or heard of before, "The Wheeling Year: A Poet's Field Book" (University of Nebraska Press). Turns out, it's new this year, too. A slender volume of prose-poem journal like entries, I consider it a new little treasure from a little treasure of a store. I'll keep waiting and anticipating "Splitting an Order," but what a lovely surprise.

(I had the great privilege of studying with Kooser for a week at the Duluth Writer's Workshop in 2007. I will never forget it.)

-cg