carissagreen50

Carissa Green Reads

I read widely from many genres. Perhaps this blog will feature fewer ratings and reviews, but I certainly intend to write about my reading life - it's the subject I most find myself wanting to talk about.

Three Sisters, Three Queens (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels)
Philippa Gregory
Barbara W. Tuchman
SPOILER ALERT!

I took the ride . . .

Me Before You - Jojo Moyes

So my name finally came up on the hold list at the library for "Me Before You," and I read it in a Saturday-afternoon marathon.

First, it's not a super-literary book; for me, it's more categorizable as "popular fiction." (Yes, I'm thinking of Jennifer Weiner's wonderful arguments about how women's fiction is treated differently than men's fiction in the current American literary landscape and feeling most guilty about saying this.)

Second, I knew I was being emotionally manipulated and saw what was coming, in plot, theme, character, and emotional development, from a mile away.

BUT I DIDN'T CARE.

I loved it. I loved it all. I didn't just love it, I LUUURRRRRVED it. I cried big, snotty tears.

Mostly because I loved all of the characters. Moyes created a great group of people that were familiar but unique, lovable but annoying. (I even stopped hating stupid Patrick toward the end, because I saw the pain coming for him, too.)

Yep, I recommend it, but if you don't have patience for these kinds of stories, don't say I didn't warn you.

-cg