carissagreen50

Carissa Green Reads

I read widely from many genres. Perhaps this blog will feature fewer ratings and reviews, but I certainly intend to write about my reading life - it's the subject I most find myself wanting to talk about.

Three Sisters, Three Queens (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels)
Philippa Gregory
A Kierkegaard Anthology
Robert W. Bretall
The Guns of August
Barbara W. Tuchman

I love you, book. I'm sorry.

I had to walk three blocks home from the bus this afternoon in a terrible downpour - the hardest rain we've had in a very, very long time. And, being October, it wasn't a warm shower. I arrived home drenched to the skin.

But my first thought was not to my hair, make-up, or clothes. It was for my library book - a volume of literary criticism from the campus library that, though decades old, was in near-pristine condition. I dove into my tote bag to retrieve it and see the damage.

Miraculously, it was little worse for the wear - just a couple of big drops on the cover, probably fallen from my sodden hair as I pulled it out of the bag. My book bag today was canvas, no zipper, so it was open to the elements. But I hugged it to my body, and put my purse on the outside as I scurried home. Good luck means the book lost little of its beauty and probably won't warp.

Sigh.