carissagreen50

Carissa Green Reads

I read widely from many genres. Perhaps this blog will feature fewer ratings and reviews, but I certainly intend to write about my reading life - it's the subject I most find myself wanting to talk about.

The Selected Poems of Donald Hall
Robert W. Bretall
The Guns of August
Barbara W. Tuchman

Summer reading list 2015 - the redux

Labor Day ends, and so ends the official period of my Summer Reading List 2015. http://booklikes.com/apps/reading-lists/470/summer-reading-list-2015. Of course, these were not the only books I read this summer - just the planned nine.

I'm not going to rank the books, but I will say that the Labor Day weekend book, Donna Tartt's "The Goldfinch," was so satisfying - a big, meaty bildungsroman that lived up to its hype. After hearing about it for two years, I'm so glad I read it. If McEwan's "The Children Act" was a delicious morsel, "The Goldfinch" was a satisfying literary meal.

"Dark Places" also lived up to its reputation - a crazy psychological page-turner.

This year's Michael Chabon, his essay collection "Manhood for Amateurs," was nowhere near as satisfying as one of his big novels, or even his novellas. It just makes me want more from him.

I've already written about filling a gap in my literary history with my first Nabokov, "Pale Fire."

And "Red" made me want to see a production staged (I missed my friend Darin's some time ago).

"Satchel" was this year's baseball book, both a fine biography and social history.

And "Paper Towns" took me to the movies on an unbearably hot day.

There always seems to be one that does not get read. This year, it was "Ready Player One." A friend has strongly recommended it, so it will come back around in my reading life soon, I'm sure.

If you read along, thanks. If you didn't, tell me about what you read this summer. Did it go as planned?

-cg