carissagreen50

Carissa Green Reads

I read widely from many genres. Perhaps this blog will feature fewer ratings and reviews, but I certainly intend to write about my reading life - it's the subject I most find myself wanting to talk about.

The Selected Poems of Donald Hall
Donald Hall
The Gay Science: with a Prelude in Rhymes and an Appendix of Songs
Walter Kaufmann, Friedrich Nietzsche
A Kierkegaard Anthology
Robert W. Bretall
The Guns of August
Barbara W. Tuchman

Oh, for the love of Darcy

Austenland - Shannon Hale Me and Mr. Darcy - Alexandra Potter

What annoyed me about both Shannon Hale's "Austenland" and Alexandra Potter's "Me and Mr. Darcy" was the conceit that both books' main characters are "huge Austen fans" -- but not fans of Jane Austen's actual writing. They're huge fans of Mr. Darcy -- and specifically Colin Firth's portrayal of Mr. Darcy in the BBC miniseries.

Okay, so that's the classic, quintessential portrayal. But to devote a whole novel to someone who hero-worships a film character is a giant waste of time. It's basically fan fiction. Don't know why a major publisher would take on such slight, frivolous works. Well, I do know -- Jane Austen sells books.

I like a good Austen reimagining, myself. P.D. James' "Death Comes to Pemberley" was ok (you can read my remarks on it here: http://carissagreen50.booklikes.com/post/1068308/reimaginings-death-comes-to-pemberley). I'm looking forward to reading Jo Baker's "Longbourn."

But these are so flimsy, and under such a premise, it's hard to like or even take these characters seriously.

-cg