carissagreen50

Carissa Green Reads

I read widely from many genres. Perhaps this blog will feature fewer ratings and reviews, but I certainly intend to write about my reading life - it's the subject I most find myself wanting to talk about.

Maximum Ride: The Final Warning
Barbara W. Tuchman
SPOILER ALERT!

Dopplegangers

The Other Typist - Suzanne Rindell

I feel like I've read this story before, in a different guise, but I can't quite put my finger on where or when - perhaps because there's more than a little bit of homage within its pages. The author admits, obviously, to "The Great Gatsby." And of course, there's also the Barbet Schroeder film "Single White Female." Probably also "A Tale of Two Cities." But there might be an even more obvious narrative that I'm missing.

Which brings me to the other thing about this book that I'm missing (SPOILER ALERT): Clarity. Late in the book, you realize that the narrator, Rose, has become unreliable. And she has descended into a kind of madness. But I've missed the point at which that change took place, the authorial clues that she wasn't fully in charge of her faculties, until the change already had happened. That's not fair. And it's not satisfying to the reader. It's jarring and unfulfilling. Was Rose always unreliable and unstable? I re-read the book, and  I can't say that she was. In fact, she seemed quite the opposite, until all of a sudden, she wasn't. I'm frustrated. Because it was, up until the last two chapters, a very fine book.

-cg