carissagreen50

Carissa Green Reads

I read widely from many genres. Perhaps this blog will feature fewer ratings and reviews, but I certainly intend to write about my reading life - it's the subject I most find myself wanting to talk about.

The Gay Science: with a Prelude in Rhymes and an Appendix of Songs
Walter Kaufmann, Friedrich Nietzsche
A Kierkegaard Anthology
Robert W. Bretall
The Guns of August
Barbara W. Tuchman

Summer Reading List 2014

For the past few summers, I've been posting a list to Facebook, but since this is my new book blog, here we are (or here I am, without followers).

This is by no means all I will read this summer, but nine books is three per month, plus room for the serendipity of the season.

1. Baseball book: "Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game" by Michael Lewis

2. Michael Chabon book: "Gentlemen of the Road" (I've almost caught up to you, Chabon, write more).

3. Ian McEwan book: "Sweet Tooth" (Also, the carryover book from last year, as I couldn't get it from the library when I needed it.

4. A Play: "Good People" by David Lindsey Abaire

5. A classic I've neglected: Villette by Charlotte Bronte

6. A contemporary I've neglected: "White Teeth" by Zadie Smith

7. A recommendation from a trusted friend: "Snow" by Orhan Pamuk. My uncle sent me a great list of titles last summer after his trip to Turkey. This is just the most obvious choice.

8. A novel being adapted: "Dark Places" by Gillian Flynn. After "Gone Girl," I'll try another.

9. A YA: "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green (no relation). My cousin, Elyssa, is a big fan, but also clued me in to Green's faults as a writer. Also - film adaptation with the talented Shaileen Woodley.

That's it -- read along, if you like. First up: "Moneyball."

-cg