carissagreen50

Carissa Green Reads

I read widely from many genres. Perhaps this blog will feature fewer ratings and reviews, but I certainly intend to write about my reading life - it's the subject I most find myself wanting to talk about.

The Queen's Fool
Robert W. Bretall
The Guns of August
Barbara W. Tuchman

Close Encounters of the Authorial Kind: Roxane Gay Edition

Bad Feminist: Essays - Roxane Gay Ayiti - Roxane Gay An Untamed State - Roxane Gay

Every spring, the university at which I work and from which I am an alumna hosts its annual Writers Conference. A mix of high profile, avant-garde, and up-and-coming writers spend several days in town speaking on mixed panels, giving readings, etc.

Some years, I make it to a lot of the sessions; other years, just one. This year, I heard part of a reading by Carol Muske-Dukes (an old favorite), a reading by Bonnie Jo Campbell (a new discovery for me), and a reading by Roxane Gay (a big deal).

Each reading concludes with q and a. I rarely participate, but tonight the spirit moved me. I stood up and asked Roxane Gay a question. And now I'm extending the fan-girl experience by writing about it on my blog. Here's the ironic part: I asked her to comment on literary celebrity - having people who only know her through her work act like or think they "know" her.

Also, she talked about her 2016 release, a memoir to be titled "Hunger." That one's going on the list.

-cg