carissagreen50

Carissa Green Reads

I read widely from many genres. Perhaps this blog will feature fewer ratings and reviews, but I certainly intend to write about my reading life - it's the subject I most find myself wanting to talk about.

Slouching Toward Fargo: A Two-Year Saga Of Sinners And St. Paul Saints At The Bottom Of The Bush Leagues With Bill Murray, Darryl Strawberry, Dakota Sadie And Me
Neal Karlen
Robert W. Bretall
The Guns of August
Barbara W. Tuchman

Close Encounters of the Authorial Kind: Roxane Gay Edition

Bad Feminist: Essays - Roxane Gay Ayiti - Roxane Gay An Untamed State - Roxane Gay

Every spring, the university at which I work and from which I am an alumna hosts its annual Writers Conference. A mix of high profile, avant-garde, and up-and-coming writers spend several days in town speaking on mixed panels, giving readings, etc.

Some years, I make it to a lot of the sessions; other years, just one. This year, I heard part of a reading by Carol Muske-Dukes (an old favorite), a reading by Bonnie Jo Campbell (a new discovery for me), and a reading by Roxane Gay (a big deal).

Each reading concludes with q and a. I rarely participate, but tonight the spirit moved me. I stood up and asked Roxane Gay a question. And now I'm extending the fan-girl experience by writing about it on my blog. Here's the ironic part: I asked her to comment on literary celebrity - having people who only know her through her work act like or think they "know" her.

Also, she talked about her 2016 release, a memoir to be titled "Hunger." That one's going on the list.

-cg