carissagreen50

Carissa Green Reads

I read widely from many genres. Perhaps this blog will feature fewer ratings and reviews, but I certainly intend to write about my reading life - it's the subject I most find myself wanting to talk about.

The Gay Science: with a Prelude in Rhymes and an Appendix of Songs
Walter Kaufmann, Friedrich Nietzsche
A Kierkegaard Anthology
Robert W. Bretall
The Guns of August
Barbara W. Tuchman

Couldn't put it down . . .

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption - Laura Hillenbrand

This isn't an actual review, just a brief commentary. I spent the last several days reading Laura Hillenbrand's "Unbroken," and I could barely put it down between reading sessions.

Yes, Louie Zamperini's story is inherently compelling. But I've read and seen on film plenty of sports stories, underdog stories, war stories, survival stories. I think the key here is Hillenbrand's writing style. It is seamless, not a word wasted, not a transition faltered. Even her digressions pass by on the straight path - not an abrupt turn for a reader anywhere. She is a master of the non-fiction art, a sentence smith of the first order, and storyteller worthy of the title. It all adds up to a spectacular narrative.

I am ashamed to admit I've never read "Seabiscuit," but you can bet I'll make a point of it now.

-cg