carissagreen50

Carissa Green Reads

I read widely from many genres. Perhaps this blog will feature fewer ratings and reviews, but I certainly intend to write about my reading life - it's the subject I most find myself wanting to talk about.

The Selected Poems of Donald Hall
The Guns of August
Barbara W. Tuchman

Easter Eggs: Kasier Wilhelm II edition

The Month That Changed the World: July 1914 - Gordon Martel

Among the reasons to read nonfiction are to learn about an unfamiliar subject or get a point of view on a familiar one. A side benefit of non-fiction is the occasional random, unnecessary detail that paints a more vivid picture but just doesn't do anything but make you remember something useless - maybe forever.

This week's case-in-point: I'm reading Gordon Martel's "The Month that Changed the World" about the lead-up to and various players in the World War I conflict. He gives this random fact about Kaiser Wilhelm II (on page 23, if you're reading along at home: "A traumatic birth had given him a left arm six inches shorter than the right, an awkward disability for someone who longed to appear as a vigorous man of action, and which he went to great lengths to conceal when on display in public." Who knew? -cg